Village of Albridge
The second-largest village in Harkenwold, Albridge stands where the King’s Road crosses the White River. Currently, with the occupation of the Iron Circle, Albridge is rumoured to be the center of resistance.
Important locations in Albridge include:
1. Old Tower – This vine-covered ruin was once a post for soldiers guarding the bridge. The roof collapsed long ago, leaving the interior open to the weather, but the awalls are still sound.
2. Erst the Wainwright – Erst is stout, middle-aged, and balding, well known as a human of few words. A crafter, he sells mostly to local farmers in need of carts, wagons, or wheelbarrows, as well as the rare merchant still making use of the King’s Road.
3. Gerrad’s House – Gerrad, a hale and white-haired old halfing, is the village elder. He and his wife Nioma are skilled weavers and sell simple but well-constructed garments of all kinds. Gerrad was appointed village elder by Baron Stockmer 30 years ago, and he conducts most of the town business from the common room of the Mallard Inn. He hides the keenness of his mind behind an affable manner and long-winded stories.
4. Village Green – This open space serves as a market in good weather. On most days, the children of the hamlet gather here to play. Merchant caravans use the green as a campsite if they’re too big to fit in the Mallard’s innyard.
5. Kathrid’s Smithy – Kathrid is a black-haired, mature dwarf who served as a guard in the dwarven settlement of Hammerfast when she was younger. She is an industrious, can-d0 type who talks incessantly while she works, filling her listener’s ears with advice on every topic imaginable.
6. The Mallard Inn – This small inn and taphouse is owned by Onneth, an older half-elf man nearing retirement. Onneth is a good-hearted soul, but he is fretful, forgetful, and incompetent. Room and board at the Mallard costs 5 silver pieces per night.
7. White River Merchantile – This trading post deals in locally produced woodwork, leather goods, provisions, and a handful of luxury items imported from Fallcrest or the lands to the south. It is run by Roma Featherton. She is a brisk, robust, officious halfling who recently took over the business from her ailing father. Her cousin Abel and his family help out. Most mundane equipment other than armor or weapons is available here for the normal cost.
8. Gremath Stables – Dar Gremath, an aging and retired human adventurer, rarely speaks about his long-ago travels.